All you need to know about hiring a skip
What can I put in the skip?
- Domestic waste such as food and food packaging
- Fittings (non-electrical)
- Gas Cookers
- Hard Core
- Packaging (including cardboard, plastics, polystyrene
- Soil (not contaminated with asbestos or oil)
- Solidified paint
Please view skip sizes for types of waste that can be put in the different skip sizes.
What can't I put in the skip?
- Compressed Gas Cylinders (full or empty)
- Computer Towers & Screens
- Electrical Equipment (e.g. Electric Cookers, Electric Fans)
- Fluorescent Tubes
- Household Batteries
- Medical Waste of any kind
- Oils (hydraulic oil, engine oil, cooking oil)
- Other Chemicals (e.g. bleach, detergents, processing fluids)
- Paint Tins (unless completely empty)
- Solvents (e.g. paint, glue)
- Vehicle Batteries
Using the WAIT & LOAD service / GRAB LORRY
The Wait & Load Service is available on all our skip sizes.
Using the WAIT & LOAD service is for when you do not want to have a skip placed on your property and want to save the cost of purchasing a Road Permit.
If you do not want the waste left on your property in a skip for any longer than necessary, it can be instantly loaded into the skip.
You cannot order this service online for same day collection but you can if for NEXT WORKING DAY. You must specify a DATE and TIME for collection which will be confirmed to you by TELEPHONE.
When the lorry arrives you have a MAXIMUM of THIRTY minutes to fill the skip with your waste. If you have not completed loading after THIRTY minutes, there is a waiting charge of £1 per minute until complete.
An alternative is our GRAB LORRY service where our driver will self load your waste. This service cannot be ordered online as price is on application.
Will I need a Road Permit for my skip?
4yd, 6yd & 8yd only
If the skip is being placed on private property, a Road Permit is not required.
If the skip is put on the verge outside your home and if the land is private property, a Road Permit is not required.
If the skip is put on the verge outside your home and the verge is is owned by local council/Highways Agency or if the skip is placed on the road, then a Road Permit IS REQUIRED under the Highways Act 1980.
Skip Road Permits can only be obtained by a skip hire company from the Council and 3 working days are required to process and obtain the permit. Skips cannot be delivered without a permit issued.
|Midi – Ideal for home or small building jobs. Mixed or Heavy waste.||4 yd||1.1 m||2.4 m||1.5 m|
|Builders – Standard skip used by builders. Mixed or Heavy waste. The is the largest skip available for heavy only waste.||6 yd||1.1 m||3.3 m||1.8 m|
|Large – Ideal for large domestic jobs and building sites for their lighter mixed waste. CANNOT BE USED FOR JUST ONLY RUBBLE OR SOIL||8 yd||1.2 m||3.4 m||1.8 m|
|Large – Suitable for a very large building projects or industrial waste. CANNOT BE USED FOR JUST ONLY RUBBLE OR SOIL.||10 yd||1.3 m||3.4 m||1.8 m|
|Extra Large – Suitable for larger projects. CANNOT BE USED FOR JUST ONLY RUBBLE OR SOIL.||12 yd||1.6 m||3.6 m||1.8 m|
What do I need to know about delivery & placement of a skip on my property?
Skip lorries are large, if you are having a skip placed on your property you need to consider a few things:-
- The driver will place the skip where you request, which in most cases whilst being parked on the Public Highway but…..
- Can the land/drive the skip will rest on take the weight of the skip and contents without doing any damage?
- If the skip lorry needs to drive on to you property, is there enough width for the lorry to manoeuvre, can the land/drive support the lorry weight?
- In the result of any damage being done to your property from delivery or collection of the skip, the company will not accept responsibility, please check with our office if you are not sure.
Skip Hire Period
The maximum hire period is fourteen days. When ordering you are able to submit a collection date. If no date is given with ordering you can return to the website or contact us by telephone to arrange collection of the skip. If you require the skip on site longer than fourteen days please call the office to arrange an extension and a later collection date.